BCMA has existed for about 20 years with an average membership of 45 fliers. Our members range from beginners to experts but all enjoy sport flying, having a good time and the R/C hobby. Some prefer small aircraft while others like giant aircraft. Some like to fly fast, and others like it slow. Some like warbirds and others like gliders or helicopters. It is only limited by your own wishes and dreams. The ultimate goal is to have fun and to keep our models flying-that is- out of the dirt!
In 2000, we secured a lease with the Blount County Sanitary landfill for our current field which we hope will benefit the community and be available to us for years to come. In 2004. we were able to install a fabric runway and PVC flying stations.
Membership Requirements and Dues Schedule
BCMA is an AMA sanctioned club and therefore a current AMA membership is required. In addition to AMA membership, BCMA membership is also required. BCMA membership fee is $65.00 for adults, and $1.00 for those 16 and under. There is also a one-time initiation fee of $25.00. The membership dues are for club activities–field maintenance, etc. The initiation fee is primarily for capital improvements. There is a $10.00 discount if you pay your dues before Dec 31st of the current year.
Participation in the operation of the club is expected. The members present at the monthly business meetings have voting power for any and all decisions. The business meetings are on the 3rd Tuesday of each month at 7:30PM- or as set by the membership.
All applicable Safety rules set by BCMA and the LandFill are to be followed by all members
Benefits of BCMA Membership:
- Insurance through AMA, which provides liability coveryage for property owners
- A field to fly various types of models-from electric to helicopters.
- Available instructors to assist in learning to fly-very important when about 8 seconds is the life of a powered model airplane without an instructor
- Assistance from the membership in all phases of constructing a model
- Regular meetings of the membership to discuss and make plane for club activities, field maintenance, field improvements and make this hobby more enjoyable
- Opportunities to visit the homes and workshops of members who generously open their doors and provide an invitation
- Opportunities to share the various aspects of this hobby with potential memebers-young and older
- A Newsletter and other materials about model airplane building in general and about BCMA specifically.
- Opportunities to serve as an officer, instructor and on committees-all necessary to key the club active and interesting
- A place to fly and to develop flying skills and friendships.